Honey's Story

24 Years ago, in the Spring of 1999.

Honey was a 12 week old orange tabby kitten.

At this time in his life, he was more than ready for solid food. While his brothers and sisters would eat, Honey would run around his mommy constantly wanting to nurse off of her. Mommy wanted nothing to do with Honey.

I spoke with my vet, Dr. Peters, who explained that "Honey could just be a kitten that wasn't meant to make it. Honey's mommy is shooing him away because there might be something else wrong with him." Dr. Peters suggested feeding him formula with a syringe every few hours so he could gain strength. So, I took over the mommy job. Every time I would walk into his room to feed all of them, or to give them attention, or to clean, Honey was in my arms. He would not stop meowing until I picked him up. He loved my attention, and I loved him. I didn't mind the multiple feedings all hours of the night. Then Honey got sick, and I took him to Dr. Peters and he explained, "Anna, you can try giving him these pills, but he's just so thin and his little body is just very tired of fighting."

Well, you know what? He was not going to die. I wasn't going to let him. I didn't care what it was going to take, but I was not going to give up. I continued the multiple feedings, and gave him his medicine. Honey got so used to the pills, that I wouldn't even have to open his mouth, he did it for me. But the feedings were getting worse. Half of the formula ended up on him. He would fight the entire time. He didn't want to eat, but he did want me to pet and hold him the entire time I was in the room.

I was asked by my boyfriend Tony to go away with him the next weekend – Friday June 4th to Sunday, June 6. He begged me to go and explained it was very important to him that I go. So, I spoke with my close friend Becky because I knew I could depend on her to take care of my kitties. I made plenty of food for Honey and left directions for his feeding times and medicine. I reluctantly left for the trip.

The next day, Saturday morning, I called Becky and she told me that everyone was doing great – even Honey! I was so happy to hear that Honey was doing well! I shared the news with Becky that my boyfriend Tony, had asked me to marry him.

We arrived home on Sunday around 6 p.m. and I ran into the house so fast and opened the door to Honey's room that I didn't notice a note taped to the door. I looked all around for Honey, he wasn't there. Tony walked into the room with the note in his hand and looked at me. I said, "What? What's wrong? Where's Honey?" He gave me the note. You see, Honey had passed away Sunday morning. Becky buried him next to one of her beloved pets and put flowers on his grave.

In the end, Honey simply got tired of fighting to live. I never got to say good-bye to him, I never got to hold him, or to hear his meow or feel his soft fur again.

"In Honey's  Memory" is my way of reminding myself that every kitty that has been abandoned and has no home deserves to be loved and cared for in the same way that Honey was. That is my promise to every kitty that walks through the door of my shelter.
Chewy.com shop our wishlist